I’m a total food, football, and marketing nerd, so Super Bowl Sunday is one of my favorite days of the year!
Erin likes precisely one of those things – but luckily it’s enough to get her to sit down and watch more football with me than the rest of the year combined.
And yes, food’s a pretty big deal in our house because we’re always exploring in our lab (aka kitchen) new spins on old family favorites. The healthier they are while still keeping their taste, the more fist pumps we do!
And Super Bowl Sunday is a great exhibition.
Can we make traditional “football food” while adding healthy spins that still keep everyone happy? Challenge accepted!
We’ve got 3 of our favorites here today: nacho cheese dip, chicken wings, and little smokies wrapped in bacon. We usually have Muddy Buddies too but we’re still working on making that recipe healthy.
And no, we wouldn’t call any of these “health foods” – because lil smokies with bacon aren’t on anyone’s diet list – but these are a far cry healthier from sugary, white-floury foods that usually dominate these events.
As always, we’ll follow these basic rules:
- We’re okay with fats! They’re necessary for health and don’t actually cause obesity or heart attacks (we’re talking natural sources, not canola oil junk sources)
- White and wheat flour are off the menu. You’ll notice we’re big fans of sprouted spelt flour (best flavor, pre-digested gluten, deactivated phytic acid and anti-nutrients).
- No refined sugar! We’ll stick with sucanat in these recipes.
In a perfect world, the cheese would be raw, the chicken pastured and organic, and we’d use fresh chilies instead of canned ones. However, we just can’t afford all the healthy stuff we want. Plus, this is one of those times where we rely on cans (instead of fresh chilies) because, heck, we’re cooking 3 different things and we need to keep some semblance of sanity.
Anyway, try these out – they’re easy, delicious, and football-party approved!
Oh, and go Falcons!
Nacho Cheese Dip with Spicy Sausage
- 1 T pastured butter
- 1 T sprouted spelt flour
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
- 2 C grated sharp cheddar
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp unrefined salt
- 2 T canned green chilies
- ½ pound spicy pastured italian sausage, cooked and broken up into small pieces
- Combine butter and flour, cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Mix in milk and whisk until thick (another minute or so). Remove from heat.
- Add cheddar, one small handful at a time, stirring until melted.
- Add the rest of ingredients and serve hot!
Bacon Wrapped Smokies
- 1 Package of Lit’l Smokies
- 1 lb pastured bacon
- 1/2 C ground sucanat
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut bacon into thirds, wrap around Smokies, and stick with toothpick.
- Place Smokies on cookie sheet and cover in ground sucanat. Line cookie sheet for easier cleanup.
- Bake Smokies for 15-20 minutes and serve immediately. The sucanat creates an addicting crusty layer! Mmm hmm
BBQ Rub Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds pastured chicken wings
- 2 T sucanat
- 1 T paprika
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle
- Combine spices and rub it on the chicken wings.
- Cook at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until skin is crispy and chicken cooked through.